Friday, June 06, 2003

yo, jimmy, hand me that steel pipe

    So Brooks had their "strong arms" call me today. They wanted to let me know basically that they were pissed I haven't turned in my application and deposit. First of all, I KNOW I haven't done those things. Secondly, I am under no obligation to do them and thirdly after I hung up I turned in my application and deposit. Here's why (and why not). I hadn't turned anything in because I wasn't sure I'm going to go. I figure, what's the point of filling out all that paperwork if I don't go?! Then having to go through the hassle or having my deposit refunded. Plus, I'll probably forget about the deposit and then not be able to get it back. Anyway, it's done now. I'm waiting to hear back about my FAFSA. I hope I didn't do something wrong and I have to go through the FAFSA process again, because it was really lame.

    Tomorrow is Jessi's graduation! I'm finishing up the video right now. I wish I was asleep because I have to be at the church they are having the graduation at so I can test out the video etc etc.. I'm really happy Jessi is graduating. I only remember my graduation because my Dad taped it. To be honest, I didn't really care I was graduating. But I do remember one thing. I was home schooled through a Christian home schooling group. These guys were terrible. I mean, there were a few families that were in touch with reality and the current times, but some families had no idea what really happens in the world. Let me explain. The group I was in was very legalistic. Girls had to wear dresses, guys button up shirts etc. I have tons of stories I could tell, but I think I've made it semi-clear. For graduation I wanted to do something really.. lets say special. For my short time with the group, I had become really pissed off with most of the people in there and I wanted to pretty much thumb my nose at everyone as I left. I eventually realized this was a really wrong thing to do, so I just ended up wanting to do something that I could remember at graduation. So graduation day comes. All the families are all in their seats and we're lined up in the back.

"Hey, you guys.. I have an idea."
"Oh, no Brian.. don't be messing up the whole graduation."
"No, really this would be awesome.. lets throw our hats in the air as we leave down the middle isle."

A few faces brighten, a few faces scowl, I can actually ear someone gasp.

"Are you nuts?! We'll get so busted!"
"Whatever.. I'm throwing my stupid hat.. if anyone else wants to go for it."

And man, I was so excited to do it. All through the LONG graduation ceremony (the year before was almost three hours someone told me) I was looking up and down the faces of my fellow graduates to get a feel for what was up. I knew a few were ready, but most were crapping their pants just thinking about it. Finally, the moment came. Our principle stood and announced the class of '99 (I graduated a year early.. man did I want to be in the class of 2000!). I strode triumphantly down the isle. I glanced around but no hats. So, I seized the moment, grabbed my perfectly shaped hat and tossed it into the hair letting out a nice loud yell! Surprisingly, the other graduates did also and the families cheered as we strolled along! It was awesome. Everyone loved it.. great idea. The next year, I heard, all the grads took sunglasses out of their gowns and put them on to walk down the isle. I'm so proud. I'll never forget that.

-BRiAN

No comments: