Thursday, April 24, 2003

"He has a gun! He has gun!" Yelled a 7th grader as they ran out of the cafeteria doors, almost knocking me down.     Reaching for the already swinging double door, I pulled it open a little and put my eye up to the crack. The cafeteria seemed totally normal, except for a few trays on the floor and a couple of chairs knocked over. Opening the door a little more, I slid my head inside carefully and looked around. I scanned the brown tables, peered through the finger smudged glass where the food workers stand, but still didn't see what the commotion was about. Then I whipped my head around as I heard a chair screeching across the white and green tiled floor. It was Steven, the kid who sat next to me in my math class. It had to be, he always wore a denim jacket and had brown bowl cut hair. I almost opened my mouth to get his attention before he started screaming at someone I couldn't see. "Do you know how much trouble you've gotten me into?! My Dad said 'If you screw up one more time I'll send you to one of those damn schools that deal with kids like you'." Steven screamed, his voice cracking. "Steven, please listen, just sit down and lets talk about this before you do anything rash." said an older mans voice slowly and quietly. "Shut up! Don't even try to talk to me right now, just listen! You have no idea what goes in in my life." Steven said between sobs.     I had to do something. Steven always came over to my house, he had to listen to me. I dropped to my knees and began crawling along side one of the tables. Quickly, I slipped across the way to the other row and stopped at leaned up against the bottom of the food line. I still heard Steven screaming and this other man quietly asking him to calm down. Then I heard something metallic land on a table and the man's voice begin to tremble and plea. My heart began to race as I crawled to the end of the rows of tables. Slowly placing my hands on the edge of a table, I lifted my head up just enough to see what was going on across from me. As my eyes passed the ledge, they focused on the barrel of a gun right in front of my face. "Oh my God." I whispered under my breath. But it was enough.     Steven spun around, his stared at my briefly with wild eyes, his lips curling back. He grabbed for the gun and I lept, my back slamming into the metal food line station. "What do you think you're doing here?!" He screamed. "I do.. plea...." I stammered, the words not able to pass my lips. He clicked the hammer back and my heart stopped. His face was like stone, "Stand up." he said, his eyes shining wildly. Slowly, I put my hands up and stood. Inspiration More to come

No comments: