Friday, April 04, 2003

yet another person that is "offended"

    So I'm watching CNN. They did a report not in Iraq.. it was here in the USA. If you're not familiar about what's going on, people are putting up yellow ribbons to remember the fallen, lost, and serving. Many of these people are related to, or know who that ribbon is for. A man in some small town somewhere in the U.S. is "offended" by the ribbons and is upset they are breaking some kind of city code. He says he will form a group to put a stop to the ribbons. I just had to share this because it is so STUPID. Granted, the guy has the right to be offended by the ribbons. The guy has the right to form a committee. But in doing these things we have to see that he is infringing on the rights of other people.. because of he is offended by yellow ribbons. I can't express enough how lame this really is. For me, this is another example of how people's personal convictions and offenses can royally mess up or limit others. As Christians, we are to be at peace with one another, we are to not cause one another to stumble, and we are to consider others better than ourselves. Unfortunately, some of our brothers and sisters think this means they can impose their will upon other brothers and sisters. I think these things to both ways. I think we should show love to one another. That to me means that if you see a brother or sister doing something that offends you, show some love. Don't just walk up or say

"That offends me, you should stop."

"Don't you think you shouldn't be doing that?"

How about instead:

"Could I talk with you for a second? Just a minute ago, you were . And I wanted to let you know that when you do that it offends me because . I think think you're a bad person or anything and you don't have to stop but please don't do it around me because it makes me uncomfortable."

    Quick breakdown. Talking with someone like this isn't confrontational, it's conversational. Also, if you can't tell them the reason it bothers you, just don't say anything. Because someone can't give a reason for an offense, it's time for them to re-evaluate. Also, be open to hearing their side of the story before making any assumptions. Always wait to hear their side always always! So important.

    Why the previous examples specifically? Because I think they point out how judgmental they sound. Seriously, that's what it comes down to being judgmental. Imposing your judgment upon someone because of an action they are doing. There are, again, of course situations where some things are just wrong. I'm talking about common sense. What's a personal conviction to me? A personal conviction is something that someone believes that is not necessarily bottom line truth. Example, girls should only wear dresses, men shouldn't have long hair, certain beats in music are "evil", certain types of music are "evil", and the list goes on. I hope you get my drift. It just drives me nuts. I'm trying to show and feel the love, I really am, but it's hard. More to come.

-BRiAN

No comments: