Sunday, March 23, 2003

    Ok, one more day of work down! WOO! So, I had a great idea for the waitresses. Ready for this madness? Super. I would tell the guests that their waitress was from (depending on the waitress) one of the following countries : Spain, Britain, Australia, and Switzerland. The reason for this? I'll tell you. My schpeel to the guests was that they were five star waitresses that had flown in to visit the Central Coast and check out Players restaurant.

"You are so lucky tonight, not only do you have the best table in the restaurant, but we also have a waitress from (insert country here) tonight! She's been assigned to your table so you'll be having a five star dining experience!" I gleefully announce

"Well.. that's nice." They say with a tinge of nervous skepticism.

   Atascadero has no sense of culture.. geeze. Anywho, apparently this helped the waitresses get major tips. I don't really care about that though, I wanted them to have a break from the everyday work experience. I really want to help create a positive, fun, working environment. How you may ask? Simple, by staying calm and genuinely kind. Is that so bad?! HUH?! PUNK! Like that.

   One last thing. As a host you don't get tipped by the actual guests, the waitresses tip you. Before I go any further, to the best of my knowledge there are no waiters at the restaurant.. thus the ever present "waitresses". Moving on. The waitresses tip you. So I'm not sure how to deal with this. I get tipped as I leave for the night and I'm supposed to announce that I'm leaving and expect the waitresses to flock around and hand me gobs of money. To be honest, I'm not particularly fond of this idea because they work their butts of. Granted, I do too.. but I don't expect to be replayed for the work I do for them. On the other hand, I don't mind it and understand why they do. I mean, the host seats the people in an orderly way as to allow the servers (servers is a much more encompassing word I think) allow the serves to pace their evening while still receiving a good flow of customers. So that makes sense. Overall, this is my attitude is this when I come in.

"Expect nothing, and leave happy."


Now that I think about it.. hosting is just pimpin' it. Sweet.

-BRiAN

No comments: