Monday, March 31, 2003

This is Carly. Brian has given me permission to blog for him since he hasn't had the time to do so. Right now, he's at Players working. He really loves working there and he tries extraordinarily hard to do a good job. Even with the teasing of the waitresses and the joking around--it's all in effort to make the atmosphere more fun and exciting.

He wanted me to mention Friday, when he taught an "introduction to improvisation" class. Brian told me he loved speaking, but I had no idea how much or how awesome he is at it. He taught two one-hour sessions and the kids simply adored him. He talked about the basics of improvisation and he had the high schoolers play very entertaining games requiring they use their "creative juices". While several of the kids were outgoing and prepared to make fools of themselves in front of others, I believe there were others who weren't comfortable doing any such thing. Brian was fully prepared to call on those few and force them into the spotlight, where he knew they would feel uncomfortable. Hwoever, after they were shoved into the center of everyone's eye, they soon realized how fun it could be and how not embarrassed they should feel. I kid you not. I was blown away by the entire presentation he gave.

Brian talked about having the "funny gene" and how some people just don't got it.

"When people are born, there's a switch or something," he said as he motioned with his hands the flipping of an imaginary switch. "It gets turned on or off. Just like so. You've either got it or you don't."

I can tell you that not only is Brian's "switch" turned on, but it's a flipping lever that has to be pushed up with both hands! The guy has got the "funny gene" and then some. Brian also explained how improvisation doesn't always have to be funny, either, for those folks who have the funny switched turned off. Basically, his entire instruction was totally encouraging, intoxicating, and I'm sure very contagious. Anyone who has never experienced drama or improvisation before could be around Brian for about ten minutes and want to run out and immediately start performing for anyone willing to watch.

I'm not sure if I should mention much of anything else, let alone this last bit of information. Basically, after I leave for home, Brian and his roommate Jeff are going to participate in a 12 week (at least, that's how long I think it is) program that involves a special diet and work-out routine that will make him and Jeff both "buff" by the end of the course. Honestly, both these kids are very much healthy and well structured already. Neither of them really need to do the program or get "buff" because they both look great already. I'm not just saying that, either. It's the honest truth. However, I'm not going to dissuade them from wanting to do something that'll make them feel better about their health, about their mentality, and about themselves in general.

Brian took his guitar to work tonight. I wonder if he actually decided to break it out and serenade any of the customers. He probably came up with an even better use for it. I can only imagine what. I suppose he'll have to tell you.

Until later. Enjoy this blog composed not of Brian. Oh yes, and allow me to provide this shallow plug for myself.

jeffersonair.

"Vain... So vain."

No comments: